Melasma refers to dark skin discoloration that occurs in the form of patches on your skin. Although it is known to affect anyone, it is more common in women who are pregnant and women who are using a contraceptive. There is no single known cause, the causes are many so a detailed history will help to reveal the actual cause of the condition. All present skin patches are demarcated and are commonly found in the upper cheek, nose, lips, upper lip, and forehead. If you can diagnose it early, treatment will be really simple because you will not need to spend a lot of time to heal.
Risk Factors and Causes of the Condition
- Being pregnant may precipitate the condition
- Use of contraceptive pills or birth control pills
- Positive family history of Melasma
- Exposure to environmental chemicals
These are just risk factors but the actual is that melanocyte production is increased leading to more hyperpigmentation of the skin. The pigments appear darker and sometimes they could form a lot of macules especially if it is severe and for a long time. Once you see the tan color on your skin, you need to start looking for remedies.
- The diagnosis is simply done by skin examination.
- The doctor may use a special lamp [Wood’s lamp] that gives off ultraviolet light; it allows the doctor to see patterns and depth of skin discoloration more clearly.
- The medical history will help to determine any factors that may have caused the disorder
The conventional way of treatment
- chemical peel
- laser treatment
- light therapy
Homeopathic Intervention to Heal Melasma
There are plenty of homeopathic medicines for melasma but the homeopathic doctor must do an assessment to make sure the cause and severity of your Melasma have been identified to select the correct medicine.
The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution, etc.
Melasma is not contiguous. If you know you are the risk of developing Melasma especially if you are pregnant, it is important to start the homeopathic approaches to make sure you prevent the occurrence of the condition. The consistent you are in taking the treatment, the more effective the treatment becomes.